Game Plan (Varsity Girlfriends #4) by Kayla Tirrell - Book Review

  




My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Genres:

Contemporary Romance, YA Contemporary, Sweet Romance, YA Romance, Sports Romance


Blurb:


I’ve got one shot to win his heart.

I’ve had a crush on Preston Royce for as long as I can remember. Only, I’ve never told him, or anyone, because he doesn’t see me that way. (And because his sister, Charlie, happens to be my best friend!)

But when Preston’s girlfriend breaks his heart, Charlie comes up with a plan to get them back together—a plan that involves Preston and me pretending to date.

Yeah, it’s a bad idea cozying up with a guy who’s still in love with his ex, but it may be my only chance to get close to him before we graduate high school. He thinks we’re faking.

Meanwhile, I’m falling more in love with him....



–––––––-–––––––––📖–––––––-–––––––––


I hoped he didn’t notice the slight tremor in my hand as I put it through the opening between his arm and body. I hoped he didn’t notice the way my breath caught as he pulled me closer. And I really hoped he didn’t see the way my face was heating up with the friendly contact between us as we walked toward the school.

If you follow me on Instagram, then you probably know that this book has been on my TBR for quite some time now...and you probably also know that I'm obsessed with fake relationship romances. 


oh look, it's ME



I remember when I first read about Daria and Preston in Courtside Crush, and I just thought that they were good characters...well, I was wrong. They were GREAT characters!! This book really made me fall in love with them individually andddd as a couple! 👏 👏 👏

Daria's crush on Preston was just sooooo innocent/sweet, and it was easy to see why she liked him so much...even when he was oblivious at times. 🙄  BUT OH MY GOSH did he have me swooning! Seriously, he was a great combo of confident and thoughtful. He honestly reminded me a lot of Cohen from Eye of the Beholder by Gracie Ruth Mitchell...so, it's no surprise that I loveddddd him!!



i'm cracking up now lollll




BRING OUT THE HIGHHHHLIGHTTTTTSSSSS!!!


I’m in love with you, Preston Royce. Pick me instead of Beth.

That was never happening.

I felt warm fingers under my chin. They pressed against my skin until my head was tipped up toward Preston’s face. I looked at his cheeks and started counting freckles.

“Daria.” His voice was low and commanding. “Look at me.”

I sighed and made my eyes meet his. “I’m sorry I left you in the hall. I’m supposed to be your boyfriend, and I know how that looks to everyone. I don’t want to embarrass you, but Beth wanted to talk.” He paused. “She’s jealous.”


📖

“You would do that? Why?”

I shrugged. “What are fake girlfriends for?”

Preston rested his head on the chair he was leaning against and closed his eyes. “I know we’re just pretending, but you’re a pretty awesome girlfriend. I doubt Beth would do something like that for me.”



📖

“Careful.” I lifted my brows. “You have a dangerous habit of trying to fix things for people.”

“And you love me for it.”

My breath caught, even though he didn’t mean it like that. “Obviously,” I said, trying to mask my feelings.

“I can’t wait to take you to the dance.”

“And I promise to wear basketball shorts since I look so good in them,” I teased.

“Please don’t,” he groaned.

“What? You don’t think I look sexy in workout clothes?” I waggled my brows.

“No, that part was absolutely true,” he said. “I’ve always thought that.”


📖

He outstretched his arms. “I’m an idiot.”
Welp...

📖


But at the same time, I could feel myself falling even harder for Preston. I’d gotten a glimpse of what it would feel like to be his real girlfriend, and I wasn’t ready to give up just yet. It looked like I needed to come up with a better game plan if I was going to win Preston’s heart. And fast.


📖

“Mr. Royce, you may go back to class. Try not to dilly-dally on the way.” He handed Preston a small piece of paper.

Preston grabbed it, and hesitated, concern filled his eyes as he looked at me.

I mean...I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS SO SWEET THAT HE WAS CONCERNED.

📖

“I don’t know,” I heard him say.

I don’t know.
Note: Ughhhhh

📖

“You’re so annoying.”

“And you’re so adorable.”

And because I couldn’t handle the compliment with all my emotions in overdrive, I shoved his shoulder. “Don’t be weird.”

“And don’t pretend you don’t dream about having this all to yourself,” he joked, waving a hand over his body.

📖

Preston was last in the line and stopped in the doorway.

“You’re totally worth another trip to the principal’s office,” he said before finally leaving and letting the door shut behind him.

Note: PRESTONNNN

📖

You know what?” he said, stepping closer to me. “I’m almost tempted to do it right here.”

My eyes widened. “Do what? Kiss me?”

He leaned in so that our faces were only inches apart. “Yep.”

I licked my lips and a thrill of satisfaction flooded through me when his eyes zeroed in on my mouth.

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

📖

Daria: Hey. Just realized I still have your jacket. Want me to turn around?

Preston: Nah. Keep it. I don’t want to walk out on Charlie and Jackson. There’s only so much I can take for one night.

Daria: You sure?

Preston: Totally. Wear it tomorrow.


TOO. DARN. CUTE.

📖


Preston shoved his hands in his pockets. “So, when do you think we should start this whole fake dating thing?”

I took a deep breath. “How about now?”

His hand flew to his chest as he sucked in a dramatic breath. “Without establishing boundaries?”

I laughed as a bit of the tension left my body. “I promise not to take advantage of you,” I teased.

This earned me a chuckle from Preston. “Considering how long we’ve known each other, I can’t imagine we’re going to accidentally make out, right?”

Maybe not accidentally, but I wouldn’t mind on purpose...

Note: I just—I love them 😍
📖


Preston scooted over and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

“Happy?” he asked Charlie.

Very.

Preston’s head turned toward me. “Oh yeah?”

Crap. Had I said that out loud?


📖


I snatched the phone from his hand, biting back a laugh. “You’re horrible. Did you know that?”

“Maybe. But if I knew dating her best friend was going to be this fun, I would have agreed to it much sooner.”

“Oh, gee. Thanks, Pres,” I teased back. “Way to make your girlfriend feel good about herself.”

He gave my shoulder a playful punch. “Oh, whatever. You know what I mean.”

I shook my head. This whole situation was too weird. “Just make sure you get yourself all cleaned up before our date. I don’t want to be seen with a sweaty mess tonight.”

Preston gave a little salute in my direction. “You got it, babe.”

I rolled my eyes at him before turning toward the house.


I can't help my fangirling, lollll.


As far as content goes: I honestly don't remember any language whatsoever; and if there were any suggestive comments (which I also can't remember lol), they were veryyy minor. So, no worries if you're looking for a clean read!

Despite it being "fake," Daria and Preston's relationship was ADORABLE. They were literally couple goals, y'all. The teasing, the flirting...THAT FIRST KISS?! I had alllll the feels.

That being said, if you're looking for a cute breezy fake dating/best friend's brother sports romance...you need to read this one ASAP!!!




–––––––-–––––––––📖–––––––-–––––––––

About the Author:


Kayla has loved to read as long as she can remember. While she started out reading spooky stories that had her hiding under her covers, she now prefers stories with a bit more kissing. 

When she gets a chance to watch tv, she enjoys cheesy sci-fi and superhero shows. 

Most days, you'll catch her burning dinner in an attempt to cook while reading just *one* more chapter. 

Kayla lives in the sunshine state with her husband and three boys.




No comments:

Post a Comment